A girl’s school by the name Balika Shiksha Sadan was established in July 1948 at 54 Gariahat Road under the auspices of Balika Shiksha Parishad of North Calcutta. The Parishad built a building at Vivekananda Road for its school and Balika Shiksha Sadan was shifted to its own location at Vivekananda Road by the end of December 1949.
A strong need was felt to provide education in the Hindi Medium to not only the 300 students left behind by the shifting of the above mentioned school from 54 Gariahat Road but also the girls residing in South Calcutta area. On 1st January 1950 Ballygunge Shiksha Sadan was started at the rented premises of 54 Gariahat Road. Thereafter a long and frantic search for a suitable plot of land was started by Shri B.P. Khaitan (Founder President) and Shri R.P. Khaitan (Founder Secretary). Towards the end of 1957 the site of 51 Gariahat Road containing land measuring 63 Cottahs was acquired by Ballygunge Shiksha Samity which governs and administers Ballygunge Shiksha Sadan. This was a landmark in the history of the school.
On 5th October 1958 foundation for construction of a school building was laid by Mr B.P. Khaitan and Mr R.P. Khaitan. On 5th March 1960 the school moved to its new and permanent home at 51 Gariahat Road bidding adieu to its rented premises.
Present Number of students: 2,600 +
Classes : Nursery 3+ age to Class XII having Arts, Commerce & Science Streams
Total Built up area over which school is spread out approx 70,000 sq.ft.
The name of the school has been recently changed from Ballygunge Shiksha Sadan to The BSS School.